Thursday 14 November 2013

Documentary and Photojournalism

The following is my piece for my Documentary and Photojournalism module on the Journalism course at the University of Winchester. This short documentary piece will chronicle the experiences of Gibraltar from the viewpoints of my grandfather, Joseph Mills, who grew up there and was evacuated during World War 2 at the age of six; and his daughter, my mother, Sally Scrivens, who visited there with both of my grandparents when she was 19.

It will at times switch back and forth between both subjects during points when it is appropriate to the narrative structure of the piece.

It discusses the emotional ties with the country, how often they have returned, whether they would like to return and asks why they would or wouldn’t want to.

For my grandfather it also discusses what it was like to be evacuated, this experience acting as the key conflict within the piece as, in his words “It was the biggest stab in the back”. It has also acted as a form of impetus for most future events proceeding from that point. Further questions can also be asked for attitudes towards returning had my grandfather not left in the first place.

I trust it to be found informative and entertaining. I certainly enjoyed researching and filming it.

Director’s Statement: - A Father and Daughter’s
Eyes of Gibraltar

Within this piece my intent is to inform, explain and attempt to expound upon the experiences of my mother and grandfather of Gibraltar. I wish to share with everyone some of the knowledge of what it has been like to grow up and then be forced to leave there, or to be introduced to the land that an ex-patriot once called home.

Given the brevity of the piece it will not have too great a level of detail, but it should hopefully give enough information to make people interested enough to potentially ask more and discover the richness of culture that the island possesses.


No comments:

Post a Comment